Cultivate Flavors

Cultivate Flavors

Friday, January 22, 2016

Banana Oatmeal Raisin Cookies in 4 Steps


In Grade 10 English class, we read John Wyndham's apocalyptic science fiction novel The Chrysalids. Wyndham wrote the book during the Cold War, only a few years after the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. As a young adult oblivious to the political relevance of the novel, the book for me was a coming of age story. In Wyndham's dystopian society, the young children David Strorm and Sophie Wender were required to conceal their true selves, and were instead forced to not deviate from the theological standards set by their puritan society.

In Grade 11 English class, we read J. D. Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye. My friends and I instantly identified with the teenage angst and alienation the protagonist Holden Caulfield expressed in the book. He became our hero. He lamented that adults were phony, who failed to understand the true essence of a young adult. Salinger by creating Holden Caulfield, was able to describe the contradiction the young adults experience not only in how the parents are treating them, but also in their own personalities.

In my adolescence, being a hyphenated first generation Pakistani-Canadian, I also struggled with forming my own individual identity. Instead of seeing the hyphen as a bridge between my ancestry and my culture, I saw it as a division, barrier, and dichotomy. I felt my one identity was in contradiction with the other. I couldn't be both; to be one, I had to give up another. To celebrate one, I had to conceal another.

During my annual trips to Pakistan, on the rides from the Karachi Airport to my grandparents' house, I remember staring out of the car window, observing the people on the streets, and struggling to identify with them. Even though, I was more genetically similar to the people of Pakistan, my language, my culture, my identity belonged in Canada.

Almost 15 years after reading The Chrysalids and The Catcher in the Rye, and identifying with David Strorm and Holden Caulfield, I strongly feel the connection I have with Pakistan. The hyphen is now a bridge between my two cohesive identities. After my grandparents's passing I have not travelled to Pakistan in 6 years, but I am more aware of its presence in my life than ever before. Pakistan for me would always represent the love my grandparents had for me, and the reverence I have for them, and the country they sacrificed so much for. Their stories are part of what I teach my daughter, and what I cook at home.

My Dada (grandfather) who lived to be 91 years old, without any chronic ailments, enjoyed having oatmeal for breakfast. These breakfast cookies are a concoction of everything nutritious he included in his diet, with the exception of chia seeds :). I have inherited my love for healthy breakfast from him. These cookies are simple to make, and require just one mixing bowl, a good ol' spatula and a pastry blender. They are not only ideal for breakfast, but you can snack on them throughout the day without any guilt. They are packed with nutritious bananas, oats, raisins, nuts, and chia seeds. Give them a try and let me know how you like them.

Banana Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
Nutritious Breakfast cookies, containing bananas, oats, raisins, coconut, walnuts, almonds, tahini, and chia seeds. All the goodness without the bad calories. Full recipe: http://www.cultivateflavors.blogspot.com/2016/01/banana-oatmeal-raisin-cookies-in-4-steps.html
Posted by Cultivate Flavors on Monday, January 18, 2016
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 to 25 minutes
Yield: 18 cookies

Ingredients:
3 large bananas (sliced, about 2 cups)
1 cup of quick rolled oats
1/3 cup of shredded unsweetened coconut
1/3 cup of walnuts (finely chopped)
1/4 cup of raisins (chopped)
2 tablespoons of almond meal
1 tablespoon of chia seeds
1 tablespoon of tahini
1/4 cup of melted coconut oil
Pinch of salt

Step 1: Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a half baking sheet with parchment paper or Silpat. 

Step 2: In a mixing bowl, using a pastry blender, combine sliced bananas, rolled oats, shredded coconut, walnuts, raisins, almond meal, chia seeds, coconut oil, and salt. The batter will be very moist.

Step 3: With your hands roll mixture into ping-pong ball sized balls. Place on the lined sheet. 

Step 4: Place in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the cookies are golden brown.

Have these nutritious and delicious cookies for breakfast, or for afternoon snack. Store in an air-tight container for up to 5 days, at room temperature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment