Cultivate Flavors

Cultivate Flavors

Saturday, June 6, 2015

Roasted Chicken in 7 Steps



I have a confession to make (*Insert drumroll please*), I do not like chicken. I know...I know, I just lost any foodie creditability I had. But, my husband and toddler love this beloved protein. So, I am always striving to introduce flavor to this otherwise boring/rather ubiquitous bird. In this recipe, I achieve that with the use of sumac, among other things. As I have mentioned here, sumac is a Middle Eastern spice, which I feel should be a staple in your pantry. It introduces a very subtle lemony-floral flavor to any dish, especially chicken. You can roast the chicken in the oven or on the grill. The result will always be a delicious juicy piece of meat.


Ingredients (in the order they are used):

2 small or 1 large lemon
1/2 cup whole milk yogurt
6 cloves of garlic
1 1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon of coriander powder
1 teaspoon of cumin powder
1/4 teaspoon of turmeric
1/4 teaspoon of paprika
1 tablespoon of sumac (a Middle Eastern spice)
1 teaspoon of sesame seeds
1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
1 1/2 teaspoons of tandoori masala (optional)
1 1/2 pounds of boneless chicken thighs (I only had whole chicken, so I used that instead)
1 large potato, peeled and cut into quarters

Step 1: In a mixing bowl, mix lemon juice, yogurt, oil and all the spices together. Taste for salt.


Step 2: Add in the chicken and let the marinade rest for at least one hour, or overnight (in the refrigerator).


Step 3: Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray a cooking spray, so the chicken doesn't stick to the pan.


Step 5: Transfer the chicken onto the baking sheet.


Step 6: Toss in the potato, in the remaining marinade.


Step 7: Transfer the potatoes onto the baking sheet. Put the sheet in a 450 degrees oven for 30 minutes, or until the chicken is done.


Serve it with humus or yogurt, cucumber and tomato salad, otherwise known as raita.


No comments:

Post a Comment